Skip to main content

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Little home makers in the making (Day 7)

I don’t remember that I had to do much in the house when I was a child. In a way I wish I had, because it gives you a good foundation in life. I find it very important, especially for girls, that they are being taught house hold skills from a young age.
Now that I am a single mum, it is also very important to get the help from my girls. My girls can normally make a lot of mess. Especially my youngest. 
It is often the case that I have just tidied up somewhere and a few minutes after she has arrived in the area it is as if a bomb has exploded. It is as if you did not just spend a few hours tidying up. It can be quite frustrating and I am sure that a lot of other mums can relate to it.

I once saw in a tv program for single mums, a mum with four kids who taught her kids to help out, because she saw them all as a team. That really spoke to me. That is how it is. You are a new family, you are team with your children and together you are responsible for everything going smoothly in the house.
I’ve tried to get the same thing with my girls by asking them to tidy up after themselves but also I started with a chore list for each child.
I must say that it is been a while since I reminded them of it and I really have to start with it again.
The funny thing is that the little one who seems to make the most mess, is also the one who is the participating the most when you assign a list of chores to her. She is the most willing to pick her task up and complete it. It is so amazing, She will really make the time for it and will really make an effort to do her job well and to complete it. 
I believe that it is exciting (and fun ) for kids to learn new skills and that is good for their self –esteem. It really gives them a sense of achievement when they have completed their tasks , especially when they get a compliment about it or they get a treat or a small amount of allowance after completing their chore list. But it is especially so important for their future.

So today  I will share with you  he chore list from my youngest daughter who turned 5 in February.
I’ve got some ideas from online and I have added a few things to it as well.

This is her chore list:

1 X per week
Water plant
Take clothes out of the washing machine
Take clothes of the rack and sort them in piles
Hang up own clothes in room and fold up clothes and put in drawers
Tidy up room


Every day
Make bed
Sort cutlery
After dinner:
Throw mess in the bin
Put plates in the sink
Wipe dinner table

She is capable of doing all of these tasks and I don’t think it is a lot either, even though I must say that we’ve not gone through a week yet on which she has done all of these tasks since I had started with the chore lists and then kind of left it again.
But since I think it is important and it will really benefit them in the future, I’m going to start this again soon.
God has put in me a desire to be a home maker and I would love to start early with my girls in building in them a desire to be the same.  And together we can keep our home organized. We have a long way to go but I have hope that I one day will be the home maker that I desire to be and that I will be able to one day turn my girls in to little home makers in the making.
All by the grace of God.

She sometimes wants to try to wash a few dishes.


Do you give your children chores to do ? Does it work well for you ?

I would love to hear from you.

Love,




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mummy, I need your 'pookie'

It’s World Breastfeeding Week from August 1st to August 7th 2013 and this year’s theme is Breastfeeding Support: Close to Mothers. You can read more about it on http://worldbreastfeedingweek.org . The focus is on community support, particularly in the form of peer-to-peer support. To show support for World Breastfeeding Week, the Irish Parenting Bloggers group is holding a blog march about varied breastfeeding experiences, including experiences with breastfeeding support in Ireland. This inspired me to write a post about breastfeeding as well. My breast feeding journey When I was pregnant with my first child, I decided that it would be a great idea to combine breast- and bottle feeding. But in the hospital they convinced me how healthy and important it was to breastfeed exclusively and then I decided to go that road. I got a breast pump to express milk so my baby could get a bottle with breast milk when I was out and about or for the scarce times that I would leave her

Nevaehs Summer Bucket list

Unfortunately, it seems that this year the Autumn weather has started earlier than last year.  And so I finally wanted to write a blog post to share Nevaehs Summer Bucket list with you. This Summer, we mostly stayed in the Netherlands. We only went to Germany to visit Moviepark Germany for two days. At the beginning of the break, the girls entertained themselves by playing games and watching youtube video’s on their tablets and laptop. This bothered me a bit, so one evening I called them all together to sit down and told them to make a bucketlist for the Summer. The first one to finish was allowed to have the last bit of ice cream. Nevaeh can already write a little bit but I told her that she could draw instead. So she made a bucketlist with 10 items on it. The actual bucket list got lost somewhere but we memorized what was on it and I’m glad to say that she has been able to do all the items on it. So here is Nevaehs Summer Bucket List. 1 Go to the playground W

An interview with ' moi'. Ask Away Friday with Meg from The Patchwork Paisley.

One of my favourite bloggers and my new blog friend Meg, asked me to participate in this new link up called Asked Away Friday hosted by Penny from The Real Housewife of Caroline County . Ask Away Friday is a swap of questions between two bloggers with the purpose to feature another blogger on your blog and to get to know each other better by asking and answering questions. I’m thrilled to be doing this with Meg. Meg is a mom of two, an art teacher, and she has an amazing blog which I know you will love as well. She is very talented and creative and loves DIY which you will notice if you visit her blog. To see the questions that I asked her and her answers, go to her blog The Patchwork Paisley . Below are the answers to the questions that she sent me.  1. What are 3 adjectives you would use to describe yourself?   This is hard. Friendly, honest, caring. 2. If you could travel back in time and live in a different era, where would you go?   Probably t